The open-air mining museum in Tarrenz in the Gurgltal valley shows a recreated medieval mining site.
Besides Kitzbühel and Schwaz, also the Gurgltal valley was a famous Tyrolean centre of mining in earlier centuries: Here plumb and zinc were mined. Today, the Open-Air Mining Museum Gurgltal (Museum Knappenwelt Gurgltal) in Tarrenz, located at the foot of the 2,370 m high Mt. Tschirgant, shows nine authentically erected buildings, faithfully recreated ore processing plants - among them the hut of the mountain black smith, the filter ovens, the crushing mill, the writing and the separation room, the miner's house, the pit house, the ore yard and a tunnel.
Children are accompanied by the mascot "Maxl" on an exciting quiz tour. Also a children's world is located here, where the single play facilities are designed like the work tools of the miners 500 years ago. Afterwards, the "Happi's Hütte" mountain hut with pets corner invites to a break.
Some years ago, 2 km from the museum the grave of a woman from the time of the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648) was found. She was named "Gurgltal's Healer", and an area has been dedicated to her and to the life in the 17th century in the valley. To complete the offer, you can lodge overnight at the Miner's Village on a bed of straw, with blankets and a DIY breakfast, and reach the Mining Museum by "Bummelbär", a small train operating daily between Imst and the museum.
The Mining Museum stays closed in winter, the summer season 2023 will start in early May.