parkplatz gaistal ludwig ganghofer
parkplatz gaistal ludwig ganghofer

Ganghofer Museum Leutasch

The Ganghofer Museum in Leutasch documents life and work of the writer Ludwig Ganghofer (1855-1920)

One of the best-known regional authors of the late 19th century was Ludwig Ganghofer, to whom a museum is dedicated in Leutasch. For 20 years the German writer spent most of his time in his summer house near the Tillfuss Mountain Hut in the Gaistal valley. In this house the major part of his work was created, like his most famous novel "Silence in the Forest" (Das Schweigen im Walde, in German). Ganghofer received Hugo von Hofmannsthal, Richard Strauss, Franz Defregger and Mathias Schmid, but also the entire Vienna Burgtheater Ensemble in his "Hubertus Castle".

In 1990 the Ganghofer Museum was opened in the former elementary school in Leutasch, straight next to the church. The building dates from 1950, its classrooms were transformed into a museum. The building serves also as culture house and houses the public library and the newly made museum garden. The museum tells about life and work of Ludwig Ganghofer, most-read and most-filmed German writer in his day. His novels of the Alpine world convey an impressive insight into the life of the rural population of the late 19th century.

Also the village history and the traditional hunting in the Leutaschtal valley are shown in the Ganghofer Museum Leutasch. Already Maximilian I., Holy Roman Emperor, spent a few times in Leutasch in the 16th century, to go hunting. We recommend to combine the visit to the museum with a visit to the Leutasch Spirit Gorge - nature and culture in one!

Contact info

Opening times

  • Tue 16 Jul 10:00 - 12:00
  • Wed 17 Jul 10:00 - 12:00
  • Thu 18 Jul 15:00 - 17:00
  • Fri 19 Jul 15:00 - 17:00
  • Sat 20 Jul closed
  • Sun 21 Jul closed
  • Mon 22 Jul closed

Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.

Full timetables
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.

Spring 2024 (28/05/2024 - 07/06/2024)

  • Mon closed
  • Tue 10:00 - 12:00
  • Wed 10:00 - 12:00
  • Thu 15:00 - 17:00
  • Fri 15:00 - 17:00
  • Sat closed
  • Sun closed

Summer 2024 (11/06/2024 - 06/09/2024)

  • Mon closed
  • Tue 10:00 - 12:00
  • Wed 10:00 - 12:00
  • Thu 15:00 - 17:00
  • Fri 15:00 - 17:00
  • Sat closed
  • Sun closed

Feast of the Assumption 2024 (15/08/2024) 15:00 - 17:00

Autumn 2024 (10/09/2024 - 11/10/2024)

  • Mon closed
  • Tue 10:00 - 12:00
  • Wed 10:00 - 12:00
  • Thu 15:00 - 17:00
  • Fri 15:00 - 17:00
  • Sat closed
  • Sun closed

Autumn closure 2024 (12/10/2024 - 09/12/2024)

  • Mon closed
  • Tue closed
  • Wed closed
  • Thu closed
  • Fri closed
  • Sat closed
  • Sun closed

Admission

admission without guided tour:
€ 3.50 adults
€ 3.50 young people (15-18 years)

discount with the guest card

admission with guided tour (10 and more persons):
€ 5.00 per person

free for children up to 14 years

More information

Guided tours for groups of 10 and more persons are offered on request by phone.

The Ganghofer Museum Leutasch stays open in summer and in winter, summer season start 2024 on May 28, winter season start 2024/25 in mid-December.

Suggest an edit/correction

Our editorial staff is always committed to ensuring the highest quality and accuracy of the information we publish. If you have suggestions to improve this page you can send them to us using the form below. Thank you in advance!

Close

Suggested accommodations

Tips and more infos