The Local Museum and the Gallery of St. Johann in Tirol are housed in two connected buildings.
Two historic buildings, which are connected underground, house the Local Museum and the Gallery of St. Johann in Tirol. It is the "Riester'sche Priesterhaus", in the 18th century a borstal for priests who were leading an improper life, and the former farm building called "Waschhäusl". As of the 19th century, the main building also housed the primary school, later the town hall and other facilities. The buildings can be found straight behind the parish church, in the pedestrian area.
Today, a glass cube with circular stairs leads you to the underground connecting room. Downstairs in the "Riester'sche Priesterhaus" the historic development of St. Johann in Tirol is shown: It comprises topics like school, freedom fighters, copper and silver mining, the beginnings of tourism, and the story of Edmund Angerer (1740-1794), composer of the famous Toy Symphony. Also crib figures from the 19th century, historic costumes and nostalgic pieces of Old-Sankt Johann can be admired. Upstairs in the gallery exhibitions of contemporary art are shown.
In the "Waschhäusl" of the Museum St. Johann in Tirol, however, an exhibition of the impressive Kaiser Mountains has been realized. Pictures, exhibits, a huge relief model, primeval findings and a life-size reproduction of a cave bear of the last Ice Age show the mountain group in all its diversity.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
€ 2.50 adults
€ 2.00 reduced
€ 2.00 young people (14-18 years)
€ 1.50 reduced
free for children under 14 years
For groups on request also open during the winter months.