The local museum of Reutte is situated in a green house decorated with facade paintings by Jakob Zeiller.
Image gallery: Local Museum “Das Grüne Haus” Reutte
The stately home was built in the 2nd half of the 16th century and the frames of the portal and the windows were painted in a unique way. Then, in 1779, Johann Jakob Zeiller shaped the impressive facade, its strong green colour gave the name to the house. 1986 the building went to the property of the municipality. After an extensive renovation, where valuable Renaissance paintings and stuccoed ceilings came out, the national exhibition took place in the "Green House". Since 1990 it houses the local museum of the market town of Reutte.
The "Lüftlmalerei", a handicraft method of wall-painting, on the exterior facade show the Holy Trinity on a cloud, moreover architectural elements like a dummy portal, pillars at the corners, mouldings and pilasters are painted. The Local Museum impressively documents the history of the municipality of Reutte and the Ausserfern region. Some boards for example tell about the salt trade in the area. Moreover various relics show a deep religious faith of the former residents. And special exhibitions show the development of the region around Reutte.
A real attention is given to the development of painting from Baroque until Classicism. A valuable collection of works of the Zeiller family can be admired and it was Johann Jakob Zeiller (1708-1783), who painted the exterior facade of the "Green House" ("Das Grüne Haus", in German). Furthermore some works of the portrait and flower painter Anna Stainer-Knittel (1841-1915) are exhibited in the museum, she became famous in the role of "Geierwally", who is considered to be the champion of women's emancipation. The museum has been already awarded with the Tyrolean Museum Award and the Austrian Museum Quality Seal.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
€ 3.00 adults
€ 2.00 reduced
free admission up to 14 years
free admission for school classes
fees for the educational programme and guided tours on request
Every 1st Thursday of the month guided tour at 5.30 pm.