The Stamserhaus, the oldest farmhouse of Tyrol in its form, houses the Local and Crib Museum of the Pitztal valley
Already 700 years old are the foundations of the Stamserhaus in the Pitztal valley, one of the earliest examples of a vaulted "Mittelflurhaus" in Tyrol. It was in the possession of the Stams Abbey: Here, the financial manager resided and collected the tithe from the farmers for the overlords of Stams. A few times the building burnt down and was rebuilt, until it came into the possession of the municipality of Wenns. It was restored from the ground up and houses now the Local and Crib Museum of the Pitztal valley known as Stamserhaus Museum.
Already the house itself affascinates with the late medieval heart, the well-preserved Romanesque cellar rooms, the panelled parlour, and the vaulted kitchen. The Stamserhaus Museum in its inside shows some folkloric rarities. One part of the museum is dedicated to the cartographer and topographer Georg Matthäus Vischer who was born in the Stamserhaus in 1628.
The Crib Museum in the vault and on the 1st floor exhibits more than 40 cribs, which impressively present this long local tradition. The association "Weihnachtskrippe-Gesellschaftsverein Wenns", founded in 1860, is provably the oldest crib association in the world: During 150 years, more than 350 cribs were created in Wenns, some of them remained and are exhibited in the Stamserhaus. After your visit to the exhibition you can have a cup of coffee or a drink in the cosy parlour.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
single admissio to the Stamserhaus:
€ 4.00 adults
€ 4.00 young people (16-18 years)
€ 2.00 children (10-15 years)
groups (more than 20 persons):
€ 3.00 adults
€ 3.00 young people (16-18 years)
€ 1.50 children (10-15 years)
free for children under 10 years
The Stamserhaus Museum Wenns stays open every in summer and in winter, for groups of 20 and more persons accessible also outside the opening hours (on request).
Winter season start 2023 on December 17, open on Sunday afternoons.