This Local and Ski Museum in the Villa Trier illustrates the development of alpine skiing in a very clear way.
The Tyrolean winter sports centre St. Anton am Arlberg is considered to be the "cradle of alpine skiing". Also Hannes Schneider (1890-1955), Austrian ski pioneer and actor, and Karl Schranz, one of the most successful and famous Austrian skiers of all times, come from this place. Thus it is standing to reason that in this place a museum is established, which should illustrate the development of alpine skiing from its beginnings.
In 1910, Bernhard Trier of Germany had an idyllic building constructed on a ground above the Galzig Funicular, that is to say the Villa Trier, surrounded by acres of parkland. In the course of time, the beautiful house repeatedly changed hands and finally was on sale. The tourist authority and the municipality took advantage of the situation and bought the house in 1971, creating the Local and Ski Museum (Ski- und Heimatmuseum St. Anton am Arlberg) in its inside.
Nowadays, in the ground floor there is a restaurant, creating originally and imaginatively adapted traditional dishes in an elegant atmosphere. The Museum St. Anton am Arlberg, however, is located on the 1st floor of the building and does not only illustrate the development of alpine skiing, but also the development of St. Anton am Arlberg and its road to a skiing destination. Attention is also directed to local and cultural history as well as to the railway and tunnel construction. Another part of the museum is dedicated to the Japanese sister city Nozawa Onsen.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
admission with audio guide:
€ 5.00 adults
€ 4.00 groups (min. 10 persons)
€ 3.00 children and young people (7-16 years)
free for children up to 6 years
free with the Summer and Premium Card
€ 25.00 guided tour
The museum is open in summer and in winter, the summer season 2022 will start in May.
Open on public holidays.