The Stams Abbey with its beautiful abbey church and the new museum can be visited all year round.
The Cistercian monastery of Stams (Lat. Abbatia B. M. V. et Sancti Ioannis Baptistae de Stams) was founded in the 13th century by the Counts of Gorizia-Tyrol, and was meant to become the grave-site of the Counts of Tyrol. Several years later, 12 monks and 5 co-religionists of the Kaiserheim Monastery in Swabia settled the monastery. In the 19th and 20th century, it was dissolved twice...
The centre of the entire complex is the abbey church, which in 1984 was raised to a "Basilica Minor". Particularly impressive are the paintings in the vaults and on the murals, as well as the early Baroque high altar in the form of a Tree of Life. In the plain and simple library of the Stams Abbey 60,000 volumes, 379 incunabula, and 61 hand-writings are preserved. The most important document of this comprehensive collection is the foundation document of the Stams Abbey (Stift Stams), issued by Meinhard II in 1275. Furthermore you can visit the Bernardi Hall and the cloister.
A few years ago, the Abbey Museum was added: It shows sparkling items made of gold and silver, chasubles, furniture, paintings, and curiosities such as the Astronomic Table from 1425 AD and the pharmacy from the 18th century. The abbey runs also a distillery, in which since the 16th century schnapps have been distilled: The fruits for the production are cultivated in the own orchards.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
guided abbey tours with museum visit:
€ 12.50 adults
€ 10.00 groups, seniors
€ 6.00 students
€ 6.00 people with disabilities
guided abbey tours without basilica (if closed):
€ 7.50 adults
€ 5.50 groups, seniors
€ 4.50 students
€ 4.50 people with disabilities
museum without guided tour - only in summer:
€ 7.00 adults
€ 5.00 groups, seniors
€ 4.00 students
€ 4.00 people with disabilities
Open on public holidays (Sunday opening times). In winter, the Stams Abbey is accessible only with a guided tour, in summer the museum can be visited independently. The tickets are available at the shop in the orangery.
Guided tours in summer from Monday to Saturday at 11 am and 4 pm, on Sundays and public holidays at 4 pm, in winter Thursdays at 4 pm. Please ask in advance whether the guided tour will take place or not (in case of events or church holidays).