The 700 year old Stamserhaus is deemed to be the oldest farmhouse of Tyrol in its form and houses a local and crib museum.
Image gallery: Museum Stamserhaus in Wenns
Already 700 years old are the foundations of the Stamserhaus in the beautiful Pitztal valley, one of the earliest examples of a vaulted Mittelflurhaus house in Tyrol. It was in the possession of the Stams Abbey. Here the financial manager resided and collected the tithe from the farmers for the overlords of Stams. A few times the building burnt down and was rebuilt until it came into the possession of the municipality of Wenns. It was restored from the ground up and opened in 2011.
In the inside with the late medieval heart, especially the well-preserved Romance cellar rooms as well as the panelled parlour and the vaulted kitchen are impressive. Today the Stamserhaus houses the local and crib museum of the Pitztal valley, which shows some folkloric rarities. One part of the museum is dedicated to the cartographer and topographer Georg Matthäus Vischer. He was born in the Stamserhaus on 22 April 1628. The crib museum in the vault and on the 1st floor exhibits more than 40 cribs, which impressively present this long local tradition.
The association "Weihnachtskrippe-Gesellschaftsverein Wenns", founded in 1860, is provably the oldest crib association in the world. During 150 years, more than 350 cribs were created, some of them remained and are exhibited in the Stamserhaus. After your visit to the exhibition you can have a cup of coffee or a drink in the cosy parlour and enjoy the particular ambience. The building is also a popular event location.
Where: on the Georg-Matthäus-Vischer square in Wenns, Pitztal valley
Characteristics: local and crib museum in one of the oldest farmhouses of Tyrol
Further information: phone: +43 699 109 66704, email@example.com
Summer opening hours:
The museum will remain closed during the summer months 2020.
Winter opening hours: December 8, 2020, to February 23, 2021
Wednesdays from 4 pm to 6.30 pm
Sundays from 9 am to 11 am
open for groups (of at least 20 persons) by reservation also outside the opening hours