The Upper Val Pusteria Museum and the Court Museum were housed in Anras Castle until 2014.
In the centre of Anras along the Val Pusteria High Road there is the homonymous castle. Anras Castle (Schloss Anras) was constructed in the 13th century as summer residence for the Bishops of Bressanone, and enlarged in Baroque construction style in 1754. Inside, there are ancient rooms such as the court hall of 1755 and the granary, all wood-panelled.
Until 2014, Anras Castle housed the Upper Val Pusteria Museum, the Court Museum, and several special exhibitions. Today, the facility is in the hands of the Messerschmitt Foundation who purchased it in the 1990s and had it restored. Part of the complex are also the Landhaus with its apartments, as well as the granary of the 16th century. The castle should be made accessible again in the next years for the guests of the Landhaus.
Also the ancient parish church of Anras is accessible via the castle: As part of the original parish church, it dates back to the period of 500 AD. After having been enlarged in 1200 in Roman style and later on reconstructed in Gothic construction style, it was divided in the 18th century. A part of the sacristy was kept in use, the other part was integrated into the castle complex. Particularly impressive are the Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque frescoes laid open some years ago.
Anras Castle, the restaurant and the nature shop have been permanently closed since 2014: The committee is working on a strategic re-orientation of the complex. The castle should be made accessible again in the next years for the guests of the Landhaus.