On a little hill near Nikolsdorf in East Tyrol, a Late-Gothic shaped castle is located.
Image gallery: Lengberg Castle
The beginnings of Lengberg Castle (Schloss Lengberg), located near the boarder to Carinthia, date back to 1190 when it was mentioned for the first time. It belonged, like Kienburg Castle in East Tyrol, to the property of the Swabian Counts of Lechsgemünde. The Romance building consisted of a two-storey palas and a curtain wall. But the castle keep was missing, this could imply, that the castle was the administrative centre of the Counts.
In the 15th century, major Gothic renovations took place, and the St. Sebastian and Nicholas Chaple was added to Lengberg Castle. After the Napoleonic Wars in the 19th century, the castle complex decayed visibly. Since 1821, it was privately owned and used for various purposes, among others as the summer resort for the Dutch queen Wilhelmina.
In 1956, the State of Tyrol acquired the building, the castle was renovated, and the chapel has been replaced by a kitchen. Even then, the AufBauWerk company used the castle and is still using it: This association prepares graduates of integrated classes for working life. In 2008, the general renovation started, where valuable finds were made, among them a bra which scientifically proven dates back to the 15th century. So it has been refuted, that it is an invention of the 19th century...
not accessible to the public