Liebburg Castle from the 17th century is located in the middle of the main square of Lienz and serves as town hall today.
Just in the middle of the main square of Lienz in East Tyrol, Liebburg Castle is located, today it serves as the town hall of Lienz. Among many visitors the castle is popular in Advent, when the Christmas Market of Lienz takes place at the gates of the castle and the castle turns into a gigantic Advent calendar. Each window gets a number and is opened in the evenings.
Liebburg Castle was built by the Earls of Wolkenstein-Rodenegg at the beginning of the 17th century. The brothers Sigmund and Christoph von Wolkenstein-Rodenegg had their residence at Bruck Castle near Lienz, which houses the Regional Museum Lienz today. Due to the there prevailing cold and unfavourable living conditions, they built a residential castle in the valley basin. In 1653 the entire Reign Lienz together with the castles was given back to the Counts of Tyrol.
Twice in its history the castle was burned and rebuilt. In 1609 the characteristic onion domes were added which make the castle unmistakable. After the fire in 1723 the local people promised to hold a procession dedicated to Saint Florian every year. In between, Liebburg Castle served as military camp, poor-law infirmary and district authority. Since 1988 the castle is in the possession of the township of Lienz.
Where: on the main square of Lienz in East Tyrol
Characteristics: town hall of Lienz today
Further information: phone: +43 4852 600, email@example.com