Above the entrance of the Kaunertal valley there is Castel Berneck, or Bernegg, “the most beautiful Gothic living castle of Tyrol”.
Berneck Castle (Burg Berneck) is located in the municipality of Kauns at 1,076 m a.s.l. in an impressive location: The Mediaeval facility is situated at the top of a rock that falls sharply down into the Faggenbach river and the road of the Kaunertal valley. The castle complex was mentioned for the first time in 1225 AD, but there was even a more ancient fortress before in this place.
It repeatedly changed hands in the course of time. In 1435, the Swiss Hans Wilhelm von Mülinen had the castle enlarged into a mighty Gothic facility. In 1499, the emperor Maximilian bartered this castle for Tratzberg Castle at Schwaz, on the one hand for its vicinity to Switzerland that used to be in war with the king, on the other hand due to its strategic position regarding hunting and fishing. Even if the castle had no strategic significance, it secured the traffic route via the Pillerhöhe pass.
In the course of time, the building kept deteriorating. In the 1970s, the architect Dipl. Ing. Ekkehard Hörmann from Innsbruck purchased the castle together with his wife, and had it restored. Striking are above all the frames of windows and gates, as well as other elements of yellow tuff, a very soft rock type. Likewise impressive is the St. Bartholomew Chapel with its ancient Gothic frescoes. Opposite the castle complex, on the other side of the Inntal valley, there is Laudegg Castle at Ladis.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
€ 7.00 adults, young people (15-18 years)
€ 5.00 seniors
€ 5.00 groups (min. 10 persons)
€ 3.00 children (6-14 years)
€ 15.00 family ticket (2 adults with children)
free for children under 6 years