Mariastein Castle with its castle museum is majestically enthroned above the pilgrimage site Mariastein.
Image gallery: Mariastein Castle
On a rock, above the same-named village, Mariastein Castle is enthroned. The accompanying pilgrimage church, built around 1360 AD, has been a popular destination for many pilgrims since the Middle Ages. Legend relates that the Masters of Ebbs built a chapel with a statue of the Virgin Mary in 1470. In 1587 Mariastein Castle was bought by Baron Karl von Schlurff, who took the statue to Bavaria for several times. But the next day the statue always was again on its place in the chapel. Still today the rock-hewn Virgin Mary is venerated in the Chapel of Grace.
Already in 1361 the donjon was built by the Masters of Freundsberg mainly as a protection of the ancient Roman road. A few years later the castle, known as “Burg auf dem Stayn”, was sold to the Bavarian Dukes. The horizontal part was added in the 15th and 16th century. Since 1834 the castle complex is in possession of the Archdiocese of Salzburg. Interesting are the two chapels which are built one above the other: the upper chapel, the so-called “Gnadenkapelle zu Unserer Lieben Frau von Mariastein”, houses a Rococo altarpiece from the 18th century, the lower one is dedicated to the Holy Cross.
Next to the Hotel Mariasteinerhof today the Mariastein Castle Museum is located. It shows several exhibits like sacral objects of gold and silver, pilgrimage boards and musical instruments. The most important pieces of the museum are the “Tiroler Landesinsignien” with the archducal hat and the sceptre, donated by the local ruler Maximilian the German Master around the year 1600. Today the castle is inhabited by clergymen but the castle museum and the pilgrimage church are publicly accessible.
Where: Mariastein pilgrimage site in the Kufsteinerland area
Characteristics: interesting castle museum, pilgrimage church
Further information: phone: +43 5332 56717, firstname.lastname@example.org (guided tour)
Opening hours: all-the-year
museum daily from 9 am to 5 pm
opening hours can change on public holidays
pilgrimage church free accessible
fees and dates upon request (guided tour at the museum)