Sigmundsried Castle in the Oberinntal valley is one of the most impressive village castles of North Tyrol.
Next to the town hall of Ried there's the former local court Sigmundsried Castle. It was built in the 14th century as a three-storey tower house, and later completed with an accommodation wing. The building was first mentioned as "Turm ze Ryed" (Tower near Ried). From here the trade route across the Resia Pass, the former Via Claudia Augusta, could have been controlled.
In 1471 Sigismund, Archduke of Austria, bought the castle, rebuilt it into a hunting château and named it "Sigmundsried". From 1841 until 1977, it was place of the county court, and since 1999, Sigmundsried Castle (Schloss Sigmundsried) is in possession of the municipality: Along a tour on the Via Claudia Augusta Cycle Route you pass this sight. In 2014, the cultural association SigmundsRied has been founded, which offers guided tours through the castle.
The permanent exhibition has been extended by an authentic equipped prison cell lately: In former times, Sigmundsried Castle served as a prison, the underground room was also called "Angstloch" (Lat. Angustus = "narrow"), that's to say narrow hole. Moreover, this place is also a popular venue for concerts and openings or cultural events like "Graffiti & Unplugged".
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
€ 5.00 adults
€ 5.00 young people (14-18 years)
free for children under 14 years
free with the Summer Card
The castle is accessible only during a guided tour: mid-June to mid-September 2022, every Friday at 10 am. Reservation needed till the day before at 5.30 pm by calling +43 50 225 100, meeting point in front of the town hall. In winter, Sigmundsried Castle stays closed.