Matzen Castle is perfectly integrated into the nature of the Inntal valley - eye-catching is above all the enormous castle park
Matzen Castle (Schloss Matzen) in Reith im Alpbachtal was mentioned for the first time around 1167 AD. Up to 1468, the facility was owned by the Knights of Freundsberg. Afterwards, the castle repeatedly changed hands. Matzen Castle is made up of a north and south wing, both elongated, a short connection wing, and a round, Romanesque donjon in the east.
In the inner courtyard, you can admire arcadia with a groined vault with round marble columns of the 16th century, on four different floors. The entrance hall is furnished with a beamed ceiling, this is also where in 1968 late Gothic paintings of tendrils and coats of arms, dating back to 1500, were laid open. In 1873, renovations on behalf of the Irish Fanny Reade of Mount Heaton-Grohmann, an enthusiastic Tyrol devotee, were carried out. In the course of these works, the living areas have been equipped with panellings and inventory of Tyrol and Upper Austria. In the northern wing, there is another historical jewel: The Gothic chapel was first mentioned in 1470.
Today Matzen Castle is one of the most significant historical facilities of Tyrol, and also houses a hotel garni as well as a restaurant. The castle is surrounded by a park of 200,000 sqm, the Matzen Park with its castle pond, one of the most precious and beautiful natural monuments of Tyrol.
castle park freely accessible, Matzen Castle accessible only for hotel guests