The former court castle is enthroned on a hill in the border triangle Italy-Austria-Switzerland.
A bit south of Nauders, Naudersberg Castle (Schloss Naudersberg) rises on a rolling hill. Constructing started already in the 12th century, 1325 the castle was first mentioned in a document. The impressive keep, the palas in the south-east, the castle gate, and the rectangular layout date back to that time. In the course of centuries, Naudersberg Castle was steadily extended and rebuilt, but has preserved its original medieval state of construction until today.
Naudersberg Castle always was in possession of state authorities until the 20th century. From 1330, it was used as territorial court for the area between Landeck and the Resia Pass, and kept the performance until 1919. The judge had to be a Tyrolese and had to know the Rhaeto-Romance language until the 17th century, because around Nauders many Rhaetian lived.
In 1980 it changed hands to the Köllemann family and was restored. Today, the building houses holiday apartments, a restaurant, and the museum which can be admired within a guided tour. The lives of the prisoners and judges at Naudersberg Castle are shown in an impressive way in the prison cells, by original instruments of torture, the magic of the wizard Florian Scheibenstock, at the smoke room, and in the Gothic parlours. In the attic, rural and artisan exhibits are shown.
The Naudersberg Castle Museum will stay closed during the winter season 2021/22, and will reopen in June 2022 for the summer season.