Kauns is located in the anterior part of the Kaunertal valley and extends up to the mountain slopes.
Altitude: 1,050 m asl
Right at the place where the Kaunertal valley joins the upper Inntal valley, there is the municipality Kauns, a village of 500 souls, located on a sunny terrace. An interesting building in the village is the palace courtyard dating back to the 1650s, a rarity, as there were several devastating fires in the village that destroyed great parts of the local buildings!
Particularly worth visiting is also Berneck Castle, also called Bernegg Castle, dating back to 1200 AD and towering on the top of a 130 m high rock in the east of the village. In 1499 Maximilian I exchanged Tratzberg Castle for this mansion and established his fixed quarters for chamois and ibex hunting right here. The restored castle complex, with the castle chapel dedicated to St. Bartholomew and the frescoes this chapel hosts, can be visited in summertime. Also on the emblem of the village the crenelated castle is illustrated. The bear below was originally depicted on the targe of the Lords of Berneck.
Kauns is part of the great Nature Park Kaunergrat, characterised by the high alpine landscape of the Oetztal Alps. Numerous trails snake across the mountain landscape in the surroundings, taking hikers to the Aifner Alm pasture, the Aifner Spitze peak, to the Pillerhöhe pass, the Gacher Blick, a panoramic viewpoint, or to Falpaus. Those who prefer sports down in the valley can choose from Nordic Walking or horse riding, and the beach volley field completes the offer. In winter Kauns is an ideal starting point for those who love skiing and having fun on the slopes! Due to the location of the village, the Ried-Prutz-Fendels skiing area is accessible via a free ski bus. Also the Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis skiing area and the famous Kaunertal Glacier are located only a stone’s throw from the village.
Our recommendation: several mountain refuges along the hiking trails invite you to stop for a bite to eat… take your time and enjoy Tyrolean delicacies!