Finkenberg is located at the entrance of the Tuxertal valley between the spurs of the Penken and Grünberg mountains.
Altitude: 839 m asl
Finkenberg, the largest municipality of the Zillertal valley in terms of surface area, also includes several mountains that are higher than 3,000 metres such as the Sasso Nero, or Schwarzenstein (3,368 m asl), Gran Mesulé, or Grosser Möseler (3,480 m asl), Gran Pilastro, or Hochfeiler (3,509 m asl), Croda Alta, or Hohe Wand (3,289 m asl) and the Olperer (3,476 m asl). The so-called Schlegeisgrund, today also part of Finkenberg, has been assigned to the village by the Treaty of Saint-Germain. Previously this area was part of S. Giacomo in Val di Vizze in South Tyrol. “Vinkenperg” has been mentioned for the first time in 1389. The finch on the emblem emphasizes the name of the village, as “Fink” in German means finch.
The village is located in the rear Zillertal valley where the Tuxertal valley begins, a side valley of the Zillertal valley. The Finkenberger Almbahn funicular takes you on the Penken mountain, which is a popular hiking area in summertime and a skiing area in winter. This ski resort belongs to the ski carousel “Zillertal 3000 - Hintertux Glacier”, uniting five skiing areas and offering 202 km of ski slopes, also including the steepest slope of Austria, the “Harakiri”. Moreover you can choose from other winter activities such as ice skating, tobogganing and cross-country skiing. Being part of the Nature Park Zillertal Alps, in summer Finkenberg is a paradise for hikers! Particularly popular is the moor educational round trail at the Penken mountain, which is walkable within 2 hours. Wild water rafting, horse riding and miniature golf complete the offer.
The municipality has also got several sights and places of interest to offer, such as the Hochstegbrücke bridge dating back to the 19th century. This bridge shows the ancient arts of building wooden bridges. Another bridge, the so-called “Teufelsbrücke”, which means Devil’s Bridge, is considered to having been built by the devil in person. The parish church of St. Leonhard, however, which was built in 1721, shows fresco medallions of the artist Wolfram Köberle from Innsbruck. Furthermore there are early Baroque stucco works. Our cultural tour terminates at the mineral and rock crystal museum, one of the most comprehensive collections of the Zillertal valley. By the way: Finkenberg is the home of several famous personalities such as the former downhill Olympic champion Leonhard Stock, the famous extreme Alpinist Prof. Peter Habeler as well as the music group “Schürzenjäger”.
Our recommendation: both summer and winter, there is a free bus shuttle from Finkenberg to the valley station of the Hintertuxer Gletscherbahn funicular (upon presentation of the Tux-Finkenberg Ticket or the Zillertal Active Card).