Part of Vals in Nordtirol, extending to the Tux Main Ridge, is the 6 km long Valsertal, which is a nature reserve
Image gallery: Vals in Nordtirol
- Map See map
Altitude: 1,129 m a.s.l.
The municipality of Vals in Nordtirol - together with its hamlets and the Vals Valley - stretches to St. Jodok: It's the main town of the municipality, a parish hamlet which belongs to the municipality of Vals in Nordtirol (southern part) and the municipality of Schmirn (northern part). Its name derives from St. Judoc, whose crown is illustrated on the coat of arms of the village. Vals in Nordtirol has got a turbulent history - its name derives from "vallis", the Latin term for valley.
In Mediaeval times, marble was quarried in the valley, a material that was applied for the floor of the Imperial Court and the Dome of Innsbruck. When the pest almost rendered extinct the entire population of the Valsertal valley, it was resettled by the inhabitants of neighbouring villages. The year 1809 was the year of the Battles of Bergisel, and also the valley was combat area. In National Socialism, however, many detainees were employed to exploit molybdenum at an altitude of 3,000 m a.s.l., despite of the fact that the deposit was relatively small.
Also in that period of time, great part of the Valsertal valley was placed under natural protection - here you are in one of the most pristine side valleys of the Wipptal. In order to enjoy this landscape to the fullest, guided tours, wild animal watching, and snow-shoe tours are offered. Worthwhile is also the protected grey alder forest at the head of the valley, known as Grauerlenwald, where rare plant and animal species have their natural habitat.