Once upon a time, in the village the Matrei Marble was quarried, also known as “Serpentine of Matrei”.
Altitude: 1,043 m a.s.l.
Pfons, the neighbouring village of Matrei am Brenner in the northern Wipptal valley, is composed of 10 component localities. It was first mentioned in the 11th century as "Phunzun", a term which probably derives from "phanes" or "fanes" (mountain slope) or from "pons" (bridge).
The high-quality Matrei Marble, which was quarried here, was used to build numerous churches all over Tyrol, and to furnish and decorate the Imperial Court Theater of Vienna and the Natural History Museum. In the locality of Schöfens rises Narrenholz or Nornholz Castle, first mentioned in the 13th century and called Arnholz Castle later on. Close to it, in 1710 the Latschburg Residence was established: Its lushly painted Paradise Room is one of the major Baroque treasures of Tyrol.
In winter, the ski shuttle takes you to the Bergeralm Ski & Fun Arena, located 5 km away, or to the Stubai Glacier Skiing Area in the Stubaital valley. Beside establishments such as schools and sports facilities, the village also shares other leisure time facilities with Mühlbachl and Matrei am Brenner, such as the high-altitude cross-country ski trail round the Maria Waldrast Convent.