The market town of Jenbach is located about 35 km from Innsbruck in the south of Lake Achensee.
Altitude: 563 m asl
Jenbach is located in the south of Lake Achensee between the spur of the Rofan mountains and the Karwendel mountain chain. Jenbach, which literally translated means “on the other side of the river”, has been mentioned for the first time in 1296 AD. From 1410 AD the famous noble family of the Fugger has owned smelting works in this area, at first for silver and copper, later on for iron.
Especially Jenbach station is an astonishing facility in the municipality, as there are railway lines with three different gauges: 1,435 mm (normal railway line of the ÖBB, the national railway company), 1,000 mm (Achensee Railway) and 760 mm (Zillertal Railway). You shouldn’t absolutely miss a ride with the two latter ones, as the Achensee Railway is one of the oldest steam cog railways worldwide. The Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria had this railway built, overcoming the 7 km long track from Jenbach to Lake Achensee within 45 minutes. Also the Zillertalbahn Railway is a steam train that runs the 32 km from Jenbach to Mayrhofen in the Zillertal valley. In WWII the Jenbach station has continually been bombed and and heavily damaged. Another one of the main sights in the village is the Museum of Local History, focusing on topics such as nature, sports, railways and the history of the municipality on a surface of 700 sqm.
In summer the outdoor pool “Terrassenbad Jenbach” attracts plenty of people from all over. Other attractions are of course Lake Achensee and the world of mountains surrounding Jenbach. In winter, however, snowshoe hikes in the surroundings are really popular. The ice rink in the centre of the village, the 3 km long illuminated toboggan run Jenbach and the nearby skiing areas of the region Achensee and Karwendel and the Zillertal valley provide even more fun and action for your holidays.
Our recommendation: Tratzberg Castle in the municipality of Jenbach is a real Renaissance jewel! The interior, which has still been preserved in its original state, can be visited.