The municipality of Forchach extends from the Lech river to the Schwarzhanskarspitze mountain in the Lechtal Alps.
Image gallery: Forchach
Altitude: 910 m asl
The little village of Forchach is located at the entrance of the Lechtal valley and at the edge of the Lechau meadows and extends to the 2,227 m high Schwarzhanskarspitze mountain. The village has first been mentioned in 1200 AD as “Vorhach”, which means pine forest. Also the silver pine branch on the emblem of the village refers to this meaning.
The Lechau meadows (Lechauen) are the last wild river landscape in the Northern Alps, and as “Natura 2000″ area it is part of a Europe-wide network of protected areas. This natural landscape includes 41.38 sqkm along the Lech riverside, characterized by rarities from flora and fauna. So far 1,160 plant species were demonstrated, 392 species of which are precious and endangered, such as the tamarisk and the lady’s slipper. Also rare animals such as the natter-jack toad or special snail species live in this area. The Lech river, the second fastest river of Europe, at Forchach is spanned over by a nostalgic pending bridge that is 75 m long, constructed in 1906. It represents the connection between Forchach and the Schwarzwassertal valley and is thus the starting point for the circular trails Forchach-Stanzach and Weissenbach. Moreover there is an adventure cycling path of 50 km along the Lech river.
The breathtaking mountains of the Lechtal Alps and the Tiroler Lech Nature Park characterize the offers regarding leisure time in summer. Hiking, mountain trails and MTB trails provide lasting holiday experiences! The environs of Forchach are also perfect terrain for Nordic Walking and extended walks. In winter ski tours and cross-country skiing are some of the main activities, e.g. on the 4,9 km long Lechauen trail. In the village, however, there is a skating ground and the possibility to do curling.
Our recommendation: particularly worth to be visited is the parish church St. Sebastian! It is a former pest chapel which has been converted to Baroque style in 1742.