Up to the 20th century, the parish estate of Pfafflar was at the same time a tavern, called “Zur Gemütlichkeit”
Image gallery: Pfafflar
Altitude: 1,314 m a.s.l.
The municipality of Pfafflar is located in the quaint Bschlabertal valley, branching off at Elmen in the Lechtal valley. It is a mountain farmers' village, which is made up of the three rather widely spaced component localities Bschlabs, Boden and Pfafflar. The old name "Pavelaers" is based on the Latin term "pabularium" (alpine pasture, pasture ground) or "pabulariu" (feeding stable).
The rear border of the village is marked by the 1,894 m high Hahntennjoch pass, connecting the Lechtal valley to the town of Imst. In summertime, this road is highly appreciated by motorbikers and cyclists. Beside cycling, Nordic Walking, jogging and hiking are absolutely popular activities in this area, as the Bschlabertal valley offers plenty of ideal forest paths and trails. One of these is the Trail of Senses, starting at the Mary of the Snow Pilgrimage Church at Bschlabs: Local artists decorated this trail with pieces of art, adorned with verses that are thought-provoking.
In winter, the Angerletal cross-country ski track and the 1.9 km long toboggan run Boden offer variety. Also the Jöchelspitze Skiing Area in the Lechtal valley, located 24 km away, provides for great winter days. During a walk in the village, however, you can admire several ancient buildings dating back to the 13th and 14th century, making Pfafflar one of the oldest high altitude settlements of Tyrol (which by the way was entirely connected to the electrical grid only in 1955).