Gramais in the beautiful Lechtal valley is the smallest autonomous municipality of Austria.
Altitude: 1,321 m asl
The mountain farmers’ village Gramais, located in a side valley of the Lechtal valley, is accessible via a well-developed road. With only approx. 70 inhabitants Gramais is the smallest autonomous municipality of Austria. In 1427 Gramais has been mentioned for the first time, probably the origins of the village date back to the Latin term “graminosa” (grassy). The bull on the emblem of the village arises behind a red surface and is meant to represent the settlement of the alpine region from the municipality of Imst.
Sojourn in the village and breath the crystal clear mountain air, enjoy the surrounding mountains and experience the five mountain lakes in the environs! Comfort is of utmost importance in this place. Hiking and mountaineering in the mountains of the Lechtal Alps and the Tiroler Lech Nature Park are the most popular activities in summertime. Well-liked destinations for hikers are the Dremelspitze mountain (2,733 m asl) and the Grosse Schlenkerspitze mountain (2,827 m asl), which is also climbable. In the heart of this area there is the Lake Koglersee (2,171 m asl), which provides refreshing moments not only for your feet!
In winter the Tiroler Lech Nature Park comprises a variety of cross-country ski trails, such as the 2.3 km long high-altitude trail Rosskar in Gramais. Moreover this area is popular with those who love winter hiking, while the ski lift in the village is perfect for those who would like to make the first steps on snow. The Lechtal valley, famous for its vast cross-country trail network, is trying hard to offer something special to its guests: it tests its cross-country ski trails in order to make them accessible for handicapped people. Moreover there is the first Nordic Wisbi course of Europe, offering a chronometer for timekeeping.
Our recommendation: the church of Gramais, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is really worth to be visited! Until 1650 the deceased have been carried over the mountains to Imst where they were sepulchred.