Kössen

The municipality of Kössen numbers 4,000 inhabitants and is located in the holiday area Kaiserwinkl.

Altitude: 588 m asl

Already in the Bronze Age Kössen was known for the Klobenstein Pass (673 m asl), which leads into the Bavarian Aschau. Findings such as an axe prove that this pass was frequented in these times. Also for this reason the first accommodation which was the hotel “Erzherzog Rainer” was built very early, so to speak in 1587 AD in Gothic style. This building survived up to present times. Great parts of the farms, however, from the 10th century passed into the hands of the Frauenchiemsee monastery.

Between the Chiemgau Alps in the north and the Kaiser mountain chain in the south there is the holiday area Kaiserwinkl: the villages Walchsee, Rettenschöss, Kössen and Schwendt affiliated in order to be able to offer their guests even more variety for their holidays. Kössen consists of different farms and hamlets and the northern and eastern border of the village represents also the border to Bavaria/Germany. In summer this place is particularly popular with paragliders and hang-gliders thanks to its good thermal winds. Moreover the Unterberghorn, the local mountain of Kössen, is a popular hiking area. For those who prefer playing golf, there is the 18-hole golf course “Kaiserwinkl Golf” at Kössen. This facility was planned and designed by the British architect Donald Harradine and is one of the most popular colf courses of professional golf players.

Kössen is a winter sports paradise, as it is located in one of the most snow-sure areas of Tyrol: for its relatively low position, Kössen is the most rich in snow of the entire Alpine area. Enjoy skiing in the Hochkössen skiing area (22 km of ski slopes) or cross-country skiing in the region of Kaiserwinkl, offering 127 km of trails. These cross-country ski trails have been honoured with the Seal of Excellence and their use is free!

Our recommendation: particularly worth to be visited is the pilgrimage church Maria Klobenstein, located at the top of a split rock. This chapel was probably constructed in 1674 AD as resting place for travelers.

Tips and more infos