The famous Tyrolean artist Max Weiler from the 20th century is a master of Austrian contemporary painting
Max Weiler was born in Absam near Hall in Tyrol on August 27, 1910 as son of Dr. Max Weiler and Margaretha Maria. He attended the Franciscan gymnasium in Mehrau near Bregenz, afterwards the Franciscan gymnasium in Hall in Tyrol. In 1930 he was admitted to the Academy of Visual Arts in Vienna, where he studied in the class of Prof. Karl Sterrer. In this period of time he made the acquaintance of old Chinese landscape art of the Sung Dynasty (960 - 1279), which later on influenced his artistic style. Already in this period of time he developed his own world view. In 1936 Max Weiler was charged by the headmaster Clemens Holzmeister to collaborate in the decoration of the Austrian chapel in the papal pavillion at the world exposition 1937 in Paris.
In this context Weiler created the glass window "Bund im Blut des Sohnes". In 1945 the artist painted frescoes in the Hungerburg in Innsbruck. His painting, which portrayed people in traditional Tyrolean costume at the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, has been hotly debated. In fact the fresco has been covered for years. In the 50s Weiler diverged from objects and converged to abstract compositions. In 1960 Weiler represents Austria in the XXX Venice Biennal and one year after he was awarded with the Grand Austrian State Prize.
From 1964 to 1981 May Weiler worked as professor in the Academy of Graphic Arts in Vienna. On January 29, 2001 Max Weiler died at the age of 90 in Vienna. Numerous exhibitions worldwide confirmed Max Weiler as extraordinary artist and still today there are a large number of exhibitions in compliment to Max Weiler, of course above all in Austria.