The calm municipality of Wiesing is composed of Wiesing, Erlach and Rofansiedlung.
Image gallery: Wiesing
Altitude: 568 m asl
Wiesing and its 2,000 inhabitants are located between the entrance of the Zillertal valley and the road to Lake Achensee at the Rofan mountains. In the register of Salzburg it is annotated that in 930 AD the widow and nun Himmeltrud conferred her properties to the bishop Odalbert von Salzburg in a deed of donation and this is actually considered to be the date of the founding of Wiesing, which can look back on a more than a thousand year long history.
Already in 1837 Beda Weber, the founder of Tyrolean local history, described Wiesing as “a lovely little village located in the fertil and cosy green of the Unterinntal landscape”, and this particular charm of the holiday resort is still perceivable today. The emblem of Wiesing illustrates a green meadow which is meant to represent the German name of the village, as “Wiese” means meadow. Above this meadow, there is a wall on which the Tyrolean eagle, illustrated on the Tyrolean emblem, is sitting. These two symbols remind on the zoologic garden which once upon a time was located in this place: in 1572 Ferdinand II had a wall built round the forested range of hills in the south west of Wiesing, which was meant to enclose a vivarium.
In summer the main attraction is of course Lake Achensee, which is accessible via a panoramic road. An absolute must-do: stop at the so called “Kanzlerkehre” and enjoy the great view on the Inntal valley! Also in winter Wiesing is a cosy place to be: a toboggan run and 5 km of cross-country ski slopes make you enjoy winter sports. Thanks to its location in close vicinity to the Zillertal valley and the Achensee and Karwendel regions, you can choose from a wide variety of offers regarding sports and leisure time activities. Moreover at Wiesing there are two ski slopes that are perfect for making the first passes on snow.
Our recommendation: visit the Wiesing parish church with its remarkably high steeple. Built in rococo construction style, it is dedicated to S. Martin and S. Nicolas.