The cosy village of Stanzach is located at the junction of the Namloser and Lechtal valleys.
Altitude: 939 m asl
At the 1,710 m high Nerenkopf, the local mountain of Stanzach, there is the municipality of Stanzach, including several little hamlets. One of these hamlets is the alpine pasture village of Fallerschein, which has been transformed into a holiday resort. Until Stanzach became part of Tyrol in 1266, it was ruled by the Staufer family. Still today the golden lion on the emblem of the village reminds on the Staufer family. The village has been mentioned then for the first time in 1294 AD as “Stanzahe”, which means “sojourn and accommodation”, as the village has once been whereabouts for lumberjacks.
Stanzach is located idyllically in the heart of the Lechau meadows, which are part of the Tiroler Lech Nature Park, a particularly protected area. Guided tours in this nature conservancy are offered on a regular basis, and theme paths and panoramic trails in the surroundings make not only Nordic Walkers’ hearts leap for joy. In the village, however, there is a beach volley, tennis and football field. Those who seek a thrill might love to try rafting on the wild-water river Lech, the second fastest river all over Europe, or canyoning in the gorges of the Lechtal valley! Particularly worth to be visited is the parish church of Stanzach, which has been constructed as chapel in 1660 to the honour of St. Michael. One century later it was destroyed by the flames and reconstructed in the years from 1775-1780. The high altar image of St. Michael, realized by the artist Johann Jakob Zeiller from the Ausserfern area, dates back to 1777, whereas the ceiling fresco in Nazarenes style was painted by the Tyrolean artist Johann Kärle (1835-1913).
Particularly impressing is also the alpine pasture village of Fallerschein at 1,304 m asl with its 40 log cabins. As largest pasture village of the region, it has been transformed into a holiday complex, also offering a small and cosy dairy where you can have a glass of tasty fresh mountain milk. Moreover there is a deer-stand from where you can watch the deer in its natural environs. In winter Stanzach offers three cross-country ski trails: the Lechtal valley trails Stanzach - Forchach (4.9 km) and Stanzach - Elmen (5.5 km) as well as the 2.1 km long Rauth trail. The family ski resort of Stanzach offers three lift facilities and the possibility for nighttime skiing. Also the 500 m long toboggan run at the Stoamandl ski lift is part of it.
Our recommendation: the most ancient construction of the village is the so-called “Älbele”, which has been passed on from generation to generation for a long time now!