The rural outdoor museum in Oberlienz in East Tyrol invites to a time journey through seven different buildings.
Image gallery: Outdoor Museum Oberlienz
Oberlienz, in the heart of the Lienz Dolomites, is not only beautifully located but also a history-charged place whose origins date back to pre-Roman Age. In the locality of Lesendorf, for example, the imposing Roman Villa Rustica stands. The Outdoor Museum Oberlienz in the heart of the village, tells about its rural past in an impressive way.
It is integrated in the "Vom alten Leben" theme path (From ancient times), which offers several stations with interesting information boards about life in times gone by. This trail is a so-called Sun Path - around the Sun Villages Oberlienz, Thurn and Gaimberg there are some of these theme paths. The farm buildings which can be admired here, take you on a journey through the centuries and show the East Tyrolean architecture. In total there are five buildings and two mills which can be visited: the Lamprecht-Oberragger Mill and the Zopp Mill, a corn mill.
Additionally there is a smithy which former was in Thal in the municipality of Assling and still is functioning, a water-powered mill with paddle wheel from the 19th century, a granary which dates from 1778, the municipal saw and the last spinning room of Oberlienz from the 18th century. The Outdoor Museum Oberlienz (Freilichtmuseum Oberlienz) was opened already in 1964, then as a complement of the collection at Bruck Castle in Lienz which houses the Regional Museum Lienz.
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.
Demonstrations take place at irregular intervals.