The Ganghofer Museum in Leutasch documents life and work of the writer Ludwig Ganghofer (1855-1920).
Image gallery: Ganghofer Museum in Leutasch
One of the best-known regional authors of the late 19th century was Ludwig Ganghofer, to whom a museum is dedicated in Leutasch. For 20 years the German writer spent most of his time in his summer house near the Tillfussalm in the Gaistal valley. In this house the major part of his work was created, like his most famous novel “Silence in the Forest” (Das Schweigen im Walde, in German). Ganghofer received Hugo von Hofmannsthal, Richard Strauss, Franz Defregger and Mathias Schmid, but also the entire Vienna Burgtheater Ensemble in his “Hubertus Castle”. Among his friends were Johannes Brahms, Rainer Maria Rilke, Thomas Mann and the Emperor himself, Kaiser Wilhelm II. from the House of Hohenzollern.
In 1990 the Ganghofer Museum was opened in the former elementary school in Leutasch, straight next to the church. The building dates from 1950, its classrooms were transformed into a museum. Since 2009 this building serves also as culture house; various events like lectures, cabarets, exhibitions and readings take place here. A newly made museum garden is also part of the building. The museum tells about life and work of Ludwig Ganghofer, most-read and most-filmed German writer in his day. His novels of the Alpine world convey an impressive insight into the life of the rural population of the late 19th century.
Also the village history and the traditional hunting in the Leutaschtal valley are shown in the Ganghofer Museum. Already Maximilian I., Holy Roman Emperor, spent a few times in Leutasch in the 16th century, to go hunting. We recommend to combine the visit to the museum with a visit to the Leutaschklamm gorge, nature and culture in one!
Where: in the former elementary school in Leutasch
Characteristics: unique museum dedicated to Ludwig Ganghofer
Further information: phone: +43 5214 20093 / 676 6056184 (guided tours), firstname.lastname@example.org
Opening hours: all-the-year
Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10 am to noon time
Thursdays and Fridays from 4 pm to 6 pm
guided tours for groups upon request