This museum illustrates in Innsbruck the history of the Österreichischer Alpenverein (ÖAV) and alpinism in general.
Image gallery: Austrian Alpine Association Museum and Archive
The conquering of high peaks has always fascinated humans. For this reason, already in 1862 the ÖAV, the Österreichischer Alpenverein, was founded. This early date makes it the 1st association for mountaineers on the European mainland, and the second in the world after the British Alpine Club. Today, the main tasks of the association are surveillance of environmental matters as well as maintenance of the signposted trail network and the ÖAV mountain refuges. The Austrian Alpine Association Museum Innsbruck tells its long history and the story of alpinism in general.
This museum has been existing for more than one century now. Basing on the resolution of the German and Austrian Alpine Association, in 1911 it was inaugurated as "Alpines Museum" in a former villa at the Isar river in Munich. When it was destroyed in 1944 during a bombing, the major part of the collection was transported to Tyrol. Finally, from 1973 the pieces were exhibited in different buildings in Innsbruck. From 2007 till 2014, the museum was hosted by one of the most remarkable buildings of the town, on the first floor of the Imperial Court of Innsbruck.
Until 2014, the cooperation with the Imperial Court was guaranteed. On 700 sqm the permanent exhibition "Berge, eine unverständliche Leidenschaft” (Mountains, an unintelligible passion) was shown. In 12 rooms you were guided across the word of mountains, the fascination they exert, dangers and emotions that are closely connected. In 2014, the museum (Museum Österreichischer Alpenverein) closed for relocation, and has stored its collection since 2018 in the new deposit of the Austrian Alpine Association House. From there, sometimes it departs on a journey...
The museum remains closed for location search also in 2021.
Exhibits from the Austrian Alpine Association Museum can currently be seen in the exhibition of the Grossglockner High Alpine Road in cooperation with the ÖAV "GLETSCHER.LEBEN" at the Kaiser-Franz-Josef-Höhe (2,369 m a.s.l.), accessible via the Grossglockner High Alpine Road.