Nikolsdorf, Lengberg, Nörsach and some single farms form the municipality of Nikolsdorf.
Altitude: 888 m asl
Nikolsdorf, located in the valley basin of Lienz, extends to the Gate of Carinthia (Kärntner Tor), which defines a narrow section in the valley at the border to Carinthia. Consequently Nikolsdorf is the most eastern municipality of Tyrol. “Itilsdorf”, as it used to be called, in 1207 AD has been mentioned for the first time. Interestingly, on the emblem of the municipality there is a black panther on red ground. The panther is the heraldic animal of the local Mediaeval landlord, the imperial earls of Lechsgemünde.
Relaxing and being active, both is possible at Nikolsdorf! The village offers a great forest pool, several tennis courts, a sports field and cycling trails in the surroundings, perfect for a day trip in the great outdoors. Also for those who love hiking, Nikolsdorf is a perfect spot, as it is located in the beautiful mountains of the Lienz Dolomites. An easy hike takes you in the direction of the Ederplan, a 2,062 m high mountain of the Kreuzeck mountain group. Particularly popular with cylists, however, is the 40 km long circuit of Nikolsdorf. And those who seek the thrill can try rafting. In winter the 35 km long “Dolomitenloipe” cross-crountry ski trail takes you from Lienz to Nikolsdorf and back. Also curling, ice skating and tobogganing on the 2 km long toboggan run “Alter Rabantweg” are part of the active offers.
Since the 12th century the ancient court castle Lengberg, located in the homonymous village, is a crucial place for Nikolsdorf, as for several centuries it was the centre of the court and arable control. It was constructed by the Earls of Lechsgemünde. Its heraldic animal, the panther is, as above mentioned, illustrated on the emblem of the municipality. From the 13th century the castle was in the hands of the archbishops of Salzburg for the next centuries. Also worth to be visited are the freedom monument at Nikolsdorf, reminding on the setback Frenchmen suffered in 1797, and the impressive parish church, built in neo-Gothic style. It is dedicated to St. Bartholomew and was inaugurated in 1485.
Our recommendation: experience East Tyrol and the National Park Hohe Tauern as well as the Lienz Dolomites and neighbouring Carinthia from the air! The sports and glider airfield of Nikolsdorf offers scenic flights.