Kühtai, the highest located winter sports resorts of Austria, belongs to the municipality of Silz.
Altitude: 654 m asl
The municipality of Silz is located in the Inntal valley between Telfs and Imst, only 5 km from the Oetztal valley. In the 19th century numerous inhabitants emigrated to Peru and founded the village Pozuzo. Still today Silz and the Peruvian village are partner localities and keep in touch. The emblem of the municipality is red and white, the national colours of Tyrol, and shows several red quadrates that illustrate the crenels of the St. Petersberg castle.
Those who wish to spend active holidays can really look forward to their holidays in Silz! The summer season boasts a wide range of adventurous activities such as rafting and raft trips on the Inn, as well as canyoning and climbing. These activities are offered by the outdoor centre “Crazy Eddy”, which is also venue for various events and concerts. Moreover there is an outdoor pool, a miniature golf course, tennis courts as well as a keep-fit trail called “Forstmeile”, located in the heart of the Silzer Pirchet forest. In winter, however, a part of the municipality transforms into a real winter sports paradise: Kühtai is an attraction for those who love skiing and snowboarding. The small but mighty mountain village itself is located at an altitude of 2,000 m, and the lift facilities of the skiing area even take you up to 2,520 m asl. Snow is of course guaranteed. However, to those who prefer ice skating and curling we recommend to visit the ice arena of Silz.
A particular attraction of Silz is the so-called “Silzer Innau”, located in the west of the village. It is a protected area that is habitat for several rare bird species such as the sandpiper bird, the nightingale and the short-toed tree-creeper. Also two sights are worth to be visited, on the one hand the parish church of Silz, on the other hand the St. Petersberg castle, which is the symbol of Silz. The former is dedicated to Saint Peter and Paul and was constructed in the period of time between 1846 to 1848 in neo-Romanesque construction style. The St. Petersberg castle, however, enthrones a hill in the west of the village and was constructed by the House of Welf as support point in order to administer the properties of Tyrol. At the end of the 19th century, when the castle had already changed hand several time, the Emperor Franz Josef I had the castle reconstructed after a devastating fire. For a certain period of time it also served as recreation centre and base hospital. In 1965 it was transformed into a preceptory by the order of the canon regular “Heiliges Kreuz”.
Our recommendation: the most powerful generating station of the Eastern Alps, the generating station Sellrain-Silz, is located at Silz! Take the opportunity and participate in a guided tour, which gives you an insight into this plant.